1. Formal letter (NULLA OSTA) from your parish priest granting permission for the wedding to be performed in a specific church in the Sorrento Coast, Amalfi Coast, Capri and Ischia.
This letter is required by the Italian Curia to show that you have received permission from your parish priest to have your wedding ceremony performed. It should certify that your priest knows you and allows you to get married at the Italian Church of XXXXXX at the date XXXXX. This letter needs to be written on the letterhead paper of your Parish.
2. Your priest should also secure a letter from the Bishop of the parish stating the same as in # 1 and this letter should also be written on letterhead paper.
The Bishop's consent to the wedding is one of the most important requirements for the Italian Curia. It must certify that you have no impediment to get married at the Italian Church of XXXXXX (name of the church) at the date XXXXX (the date you are asking). This letter needs to be written on the letterhead paper of your Bishop's office. This letter shows that approval has been given by the authority over the priest who has written the letter referred in # 1.
3. The letter from the priest must also state that you have fulfilled all PRE CANA procedures, and should include the certificate (if a certificate was done) showing that you attended the premarital classes.
4. The Original prenuptial inquiry form has to be issued by your parish and be on formal church letterhead paper of your Parish.
The prenuptial inquiry form is not just the certificate but rather a type of signed questionnaire with church seals/signatures. Moreover this document must be stamped by the local Bishop's office (NOT just your priest).
A PRENUPTIAL INQUIRY is issued by the archdiocese of your city/town. It is the prenuptial investigation that includes your dates, names and general religious data which your priest completes together with you. Your priest completes the questionnaire stating it has been approved so you can get married, signing the document as final approval. Then this document has to be sealed by your local Bishop, so the Italian Curia has the proof that it has been definitely approved by a higher member of the Catholic Church in your country.
5. ALL certificates of baptism, first communion and confirmation must be sent together with the Prenuptial inquiry form and letters mentioned in # 1, # 2 and must also be stamped by the local Bishop's office.
All these sacraments have to be received in order to have the Catholic wedding performed. Ask your Parish priest who performed these sacraments to provide these certificates. If you have problems obtaining the originals, ask for copies that must then be sealed by your local bishop. The seals of the bishop are required on these documents by the Italian Curia.
6. Original of the civil wedding certificate, (in event the Italian priest will not perform the civil part of the marriage the civil ceremony must be performed prior to the religious ceremony and that original certificate must be presented to the Italian priest)
This would apply if you are not asking to be civilly married at the same wedding ceremony in Italy or in case that the Italian priest is not be able to do the civil and religious wedding together).
Determined on a case by case basis; In case you will receive the Catholic wedding and not the civil one at the Italian church you need to provide the civil wedding certificate. Please note: Not only the wedding licence (issued in USA) but the original certificate that you are legally married.
7. If one of you are not Catholic you will be required to obtain another document such as "Permission of mixed religions" to testify that the wedding celebration can be performed by the Italian Church.
Generally this document is issued by the local Bishop of your country. Ask for this information in your Parish, so they can help you to obtain this special permission.
All the documents mentioned (excluding # 6) MUST have been sealed or stamped by the Bishop's parish office.
It is necessary for us to receive copies of all of these documents to verify with the Italian Church that they are complete.
THEN ALL THE COPIES OF THESE DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE SENT DIRECTLY TO THE DIOCESAN ADDRESS OF THE SPECIFIC CHURCH IN THE SORRENTO COAST,AMALFI COAST,CAPRI OR ISCHIA AND THE SPECIFIC PRIEST IN SORRENTO, POSITANO, AMALFI, RAVELLO, CAPRI, ISCHIA HAS FINAL SAY ON GRANTING OFFICIAL PERMISSION FOR THE WEDDING TO MOVE FORWARD AFTER SEEING THE PAPERWORK. THE NULLA OSTA MUST BE DATED WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF THE WEDDING DATE OTHERWISE IT WILL EXPIRE.
FOLLOWING OUR INSTRUCTIONS WILL HELP MAKE YOUR WEDDING GO MORE SMOOTHLY.
The above refer to a couple which have never been previously married. If you have been divorced in the Catholic Church and your marriage was not officially annulled you cannot marry in the Catholic Church. Please advise us if you have had your marriage annulled.
After the Catholic wedding, the church in which you were married will send copies of the marriage certificate to the Town Hall in Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri or Ischia You may obtain the wedding certificate through us.